Facing My Flaws Volume I
This is old news. Head over to Facing My Flaws Volume II to see how I currently suck at life.
Orientation at University of Dayton starts August 22nd. I am thrilled, but I have begun to take notice of habits I need to break – or at least keep down to a minimum – before I move into my dorm. So I’m compiling this list as an attempt to motivate me. I’m sure I’ll be adding more as the date of my arrival as a freshman at UD draws nearer. Any tips on how to achieve my goals would be appreciated!
1. After I brush my teeth, I wipe my mouth off with toilet paper. I cannot do this in community bathrooms!
–I’d like to note that while I was in Florida for a week over spring break I did not do this once! (4/12/09)
-It’s much harder to remember not to do this at home. (4/23/09)
-I would like to state that I believe I successfully broke this habit! (7/23/09)
2. I need to accept the fact that I will be using a community bathroom.
-Surprisingly, it’s not that bad. (8/31/09)/
-Though still occasionally annoying, I can say I have fully accommodated to this inconvenience. (11/30/09)
3. I need to stop storing the majority of my wardrobe (and everything else I own) on the floor of my bedroom.
-My roommate has this problem as well. So it doesn’t bother her, but our room gets quite messy at times. (12/2/09)
-Though not Catholic, I “gave up” being messy for Lent. It worked surprisingly well and I have created a new good habit of picking up after myself! (4/7/10)
4. No longer can I count on my mother to provide me with adequate fruits and vegetables.
-I pack my lunch now most of the time, and I always remember to include some fruit with it! (5/5/09)
-I make healthier choices at school than I did at home since I am now completely responsible for my diet. Yay me! (September 09)
5. Unfortunately, I will not be able to fit all of my jeans in my dorm room closet. How will I choose which ones to take?!
-It wasn’t difficult! (8/19/09)
6. Ditto with my shoes.
7. I will not have my car freshman year. I love my car. I’m worried about suffering from separation anxiety.
8. In a seemingly contradicting nature to my self-proclaimed social personality, I have the tendency to alienate myself from others. My friends understand this. People who have just met me will not. I need to become more aware of the specific instances when I do this and stop from crippling potential friendships before they start!
9. I am great at waking up to my alarm in the morning. I am terrible at waking up to my alarm when I take naps. My mother suggested I call her when I’m going to nap at school, and she’ll call me an allotted time later to wake me up. However generous the offer, I cannot always be dependent on this.
-Unfortunately, I never really had time to nap. (4/19/10)
10. I burp a lot and loudly. This is not something I plan on changing. However, I should probably keep it quiet it in certain company, especially when everyone is a complete stranger.
11. I don’t know how to do laundry…
-Though I made everything up as I went, I did wash one sweatshirt yesterday. (7/23/09)
-I have not even used an entire bottle of detergent the entire year. I prefer to wait for breaks and take my laundry home…whoops. (4/19/10)
12. …or iron.
13. My sister lovingly reminded me that I have a tendency to whine. For the record, I only whine to my family and closest friends, so this shouldn’t be too off-putting at school next year.
14. I often multitask while brushing my teeth by picking out my clothes for the day or putting on jewelry. I will probably not be able to do this, as the bathroom won’t be right next to my room.
-I taught myself to brush my teeth without wetting the brush first. Now I can multitask in my room while I brush, and go to the bathroom to spit! October 09
15. I suck at sleeping. I don’t nap well, I can’t fall back asleep well after anything wakes me up, I don’t fall asleep quickly.
16. I’m terrible at sharing, just in general.
17. I go through toothbrushes so fast. Anytime there’s any possibility that anything happened to it, I need a new one.